blood sugar rollercoaster

I’ve been paying a lot of attention to my diet lately. I’ve joined an organic food co-op and even found a place to get pasture-fed, organic, non-homogenized, non-pastuerized dairy products. Yes, the latter is technically illegal but many of us engage in illegal pursuits for reasons far less respectable than health!

I have also been studying metabolic typing and experimenting with a diet that is based on my individual metabolic type and reaction to certain foods.

Between these two pursuits, I have naturally let go of many less-than-optimal habits, such as snacking, white flour and sugar, and processed foods. There’s the 80/20 rule: eat well 80% of the time, and the other 20% is wiggle room. But I’ve been feeling much better as my food choices improve, and haven’t really needed that 20% too much. Maybe on weekends, I use that 20% up in drinks, but during the week when I’m on a tighter schedule, I don’t really veer into 20% territory too much.

Except for today.

And I am paying for it!

I had some small-batch toffees in my desk drawer that I bought before I really started down this new eating path. Ingredients are butter, sugar, chocolate, almonds, salt, and baking soda. Sounds good, right?

Based on what I have learned thus far, I know that a sweet craving 1-2 hours after a meal means my proportions of food were off for my metabolic type; I really haven’t been having sweet cravings much since I started this plan. But today I did. So my proportions were off and I knew this, but instead of going outside to get something that would’ve probably naturally balanced my blood sugar levels, that damn small batch toffee was signing to me from the desk drawer.

I had one piece and now I feel miserable! Miserable! I have a headache, I still have a sweet craving (which means that my body is in need of complex carbohydrates and possibly fat and/or protein, NOT simple carbs) and I knew this before going for the damn toffee! I have a headache on top of it.

So, the lesson here is: if you really want to improve your diet, be serious about it because you may not only lose your cravings for your favorite sweet things, but if you do decide to play with that 20% and go for it, you’ll feel as though you just drank a pint of vodka or something! I feel like one of those drunks who says “I’ll never drink again!” except I really don’t think I’ll be eating any more toffee!

Advertisements

~ by Lola on November 2, 2009.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: